Artisan Joiner / Carpenter
Armscor Dockyard in Simon's Town has a vacancy for an Artisan: Joiner/Carpenter on a fixed-term project related contract for three months. Applications are invited from people meeting the qualifications and experience requirements set out below.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide an effective and efficient constructive joinery service in the repair, manufacturing and installation of furniture/equipment ashore and afloat within the marine environment.
- Ability to scrutinize work packages (including drawings) for clarity and feasibility.
- Discuss job content, duration and resources with supervisor beforehand.
- Ability to conduct an assessment of equipment/furniture and relay required plan of action to supervisor.
- Ability to operate power tools and plant machinery required to execute joinery tasks.
- Ability to manufacture products from raw materials, pencil mark (setting out) to required specifications and execution of tasks.
- Provide acceptable quality checks to ensure client satisfaction.
- Compliance with OHASA and safe and clean work areas.
- Have good team working abilities and communication skills.
- Ability to identify possible safety risks and defects.
COMPETENCIES AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- A Trade Test Certificate endorsed by the Department of Labour or applicable Seta.
- Minimum 2 years technical experience in the Marine joinery environment.
- Hand skills in order to utilize a vast range of hand tools, portable equipment and plant machinery.
- Be able to work at heights, able to work in confined and awkward spaces.
- Interpersonal skills