Armscor Dockyard has Artisan: Shipwright vacancies available on fixed-term project related contracts at its facilities in Durban. These vacancies are becoming available for different periods as and when needed. Applications are invited from people meeting the qualifications and experience requirements set out below.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To supply an effective and efficient constructive ship repair, fabrication and equipment repair capability to the fleet of the South Africa Navy, its various shore establishments and foreign and commercial vessels.
CRITICAL PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Maintenance of docking equipment for Naval and commercial vessels.
- Scrutinise job cards for clarity and feasibility.
- Discuss job content and time estimate with supervisor.
- Ensure that work area is accessible and safe before commencing work.
- Advises supervisor on any requirements such as scaffolding, slinging or Gas Free Certificates.
- Designs and manufactures any special equipment required.
- Prepares bed for vessel for dry-docking or for docking on the synchro-lift. Assembles bogies and long-arms and puts them in order according to drawings.
- Maintenance work on all docking equipment e.g. Caisson, synchro-lift platform, transfer carriages, brows and access towers.
- Doing routine checks on all docking gear e.g. Weekly rally ups, operate capstans, penstocks and be able to operate caissons.
COMPETENCIES AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- An applicable Trade Test Certificate endorsed by the Department of Labour or applicable Seta.
- Minimum 2 years technical experience in an industrial or similar environment. Marine experience will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of caissons, shipbuilding and preparation of cradles.
- Ability to work long hours in all weather conditions with a vast range of tools.
- Ability to sight work for accuracy.
- Ability to recognise technical defects and propose repair solutions.
- Decision making skills.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights.