CATERING EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
We required a technician to perform the skilled journey-level mechanical work required to maintain, install, troubleshoot, and repair a wide variety of gas and electric, commercial kitchen equipment, and major appliances; and performs related duties as required or assigned.
- Disassembles damaged or worn kitchen equipment in shop and performs repair and rebuild operations such as rewiring and replacing bearings, bushings, brushes, and centrifugal or on-off switches.
- Performs the maintenance and repair of a variety of commercial kitchen equipment, electrical appliances, tools, and other equipment as assigned; repairs equipment on location.
- When necessary; maintains and repairs a variety of major appliances and related equipment in kitchens and home economics departments. i.e. ovens, food mixers, salad cutters, food carriers, compactors, electric ranges, dish-washers, scales, steamers, food fryers, steam kettles, steam tables, candy stoves, warmers, thermostats, controls, and various other parts and components as necessary
- Diagnoses defects and makes minor or major repairs; drives a vehicle to and from locations and keeps vehicle supplied with tools and materials; performs operator maintenance on vehicle and keeps it in orderly condition; keeps records and makes reports of work accomplished and materials used; and works on a standby basis over week-ends.
- Installation of equipment, site work, lifting and ability to work on a physical basis.
- Receives supervision from a supervisor or manager.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school supplemented by completion of an acceptable apprentice-level mechanic commercial kitchen equipment training program, plus two years of progressively more responsible experience with electric motors, kitchen equipment, and machines or appliances.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of the methods, materials, equipment, and tools appropriate for equipment repair-related installation, maintenance, and repair activities; knowledge of common hazards and necessary safety precautions.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions, diagrams, sketches, blueprints, and manufacturers' manuals; capability to estimate time and material needs, determine when repair is not economically practical, and to perform routine tasks and arithmetic computations.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills; and strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
- Possession of an appropriate, valid motor vehicle drivers license with a good driving record.
- Key experience required:
combi steam ovens
gas stoves / grills
upright fridges and freezers, underbar fridges, general refrigeration
electric kitchen appliances; blenders, cutters, slicers
mechanical kitchen appliances; coal ovens, hinge and roller mechanisms