CNC Setter - Programmer - Operator
The incumbent is responsible to produce machined parts by programming, setting up and operating a computer numerical control (CNC) machine, maintaining quality and safety standards, keeping records, maintaining equipment and supplies.
To perform this role successfully, the appointed individual(s) must be able to perform each essential duty / key performance area exceptionally well. This list of key performance areas is not exhaustive and may be changed / supplemented to accommodate business needs from time to time:
- Plans machining moulds and parts by studying mould files, reference planes, location of surfaces and machining parameters by interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances.
- Converts CAD data provided from Solid works to CAD data usable by Mastercam or other software that can be used.
- Determines the proper tools, cutting and feeding speeds to be used.
- Sets up CNC mills and lathes, fits tools enters instructions, including zero and reference points, setting tool registers, offsets and conditional settings.
- Lift, position, and secure material on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vices, three- and four jaw chucks, v-blocks, or angle plates.
- Verify settings by measuring positions adhering to specifications set out in the mould file.
- Maintain safe operating procedures by adhering to safety regulations.
- Maintain equipment by completing preventative maintenance requirements following the manufacturer's instructions, troubleshoot malfunctions, calling for repairs and topping up cutting oil and water.
- Deburr completed parts, measure and verify dimensions of completed parts to specification as per mould file using measuring instruments such as callipers, gauge blocks, micro-meters, verniers and dial indicators.
- Liaise with tool designer, manager and fellow employees.
- Hand over completed parts together with the mould file to the toolmakers for final assembly.
- Record time and material used and maintain mould file and records.
- Keep machines, workplace and tools clean and in proper condition.
- Maintain a high standard of Toolroom safety at all times.
- On occasions as and when required by the company perform other duties outside of the sphere of your position.
- Be prepared to work overtime and shifts if the workload so requires.
- Grade 12 or technical diploma and 5 years practical experience with Mastercam or equivalent training certificate a must.
- Solidworks training and experience a plus
- Valid Code B or higher driver's License.
- Excellent technical skills, with the ability to problem-solve and troubleshoot mechanical problems with good verbal communication skills
- Basic mathematical, geometry and trigonometry skills with the ability to mentally and with the aid of calculators do calculations.
- Understand and interpret technical drawings.