SENIOR ARTISAN: DIESEL FITTER
Armscor Dockyard has a vacancy for an Artisan: Diesel Fitter. Applications are invited from people meeting the qualifications and experience requirements set out below.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To conduct check lists, surveys, diagnostics, repairs, maintenance and upgrade work on marine vessels and associated equipment in an effective, efficient and economic manner.
CRITICAL PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Interpret job card requirements and identify all required resources to perform a job.
- Conduct risk assessments and mitigate any identified risks.
- Identify procedures to be followed and collate all requirements.
- Implement corrective and preventative actions by repairing, adjusting, aligning, calibrating, overhauling, maintaining and/or setting-to-work Mechanical systems (cylinder heads, turbochargers, fuel injectors, air and oil systems, etc.)
- Troubleshoot system malfunctions on Engines.
- Execute the job adhering to all instructions, procedures, policies and regulations and stay within time and cost constraints.
- Abide by, promote and partake in all safety, health, environmental, quality and security requirements of the Dockyard.
- Observe all applicable industrial relations requirements as per OHS Act as it applies to employees in the propulsion support environment.
- Conduct regular technical analytical inspections.
COMPETENCIES AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Trade Test Certificate as a Marine/Diesel Fitter, endorsed by the Department of Labour or applicable Seta.
- Minimum 2 years' technical experience in a diesel fitting/or similar environment.
- Marine experience will be an added advantage
- Ability to interpret technical procedures and technical drawings.
- Ability to utilize workshop hand tools, lifting tackle and overhead cranes.
- Ability to plan job accordingly in relation to resources required.
- Decision making skills.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights.