Senior Legal Counsel
In Sub-Saharan Africa, SNC-Lavalin has a proven track record of delivering projects across all four of our sectors of operation including oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. We have been present in Africa since the 1970s when the company was awarded the Mefta cement plant in Algeria. Since then, we have designed and built a series of outstanding projects across the continent that directly contribute to quality of life. Over the last four decades we have served blue-chip clients, primarily in the petrochemical, power and mining and metals sectors on over 300 diverse projects executed in South Africa, Botswana, Angola, Mozambique, Zambia, Madagascar, Kenya, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Sudan.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Competed Bachelor of Law / LLM
- Must be an Admitted Attorney (must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements)
- Minimum 7-12 years relevant commercial law experience
- Must have substantial experience in handling legal/commercial matters in South Africa as well as a solid background in the engineering and construction sector
- Must have experience specific to contract review and drafting, in English, across a broad spectrum (NDAs, professional services (design, engineering, architecture), PMC, D&B, EPC, consortium, joint venture, MoUs, teaming agreement, end-use and project procurement)
- Background in handling engineering/construction contracts related disputes/claims
- Experience in handling corporate matters and company secretarial work
- Must have a working knowledge of the culture, legal system and regulatory environment in South Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa
- Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Strong commercial acumen and negotiation skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English. Portuguese and/or French would be an advantage
- Display a sense of ownership with a passion for ethics
- Ability to work independently and efficiently - curious, solutions orientated and hard working
- Provide legal support to the various internal functions and local management and represent SNC-Lavalin in discussions and negotiations with clients, suppliers, and government authorities
- Review terms and conditions and propose/negotiate required amendments during competitive bidding processes
- Support the project teams during project delivery with contract interpretation questions and claims.
- Advise internal functions on diverse legal matters including employment law, insurance, and any local regulations applicable to SNC-Lavalin
- Take ownership of the corporate structure and ensure all corporate documentation, licenses, powers of attorney, etc, are up-to-date and in line with local legislation.
- Provide legal support to and work closely with the compliance and integrity department as and when required.
- Retain, supervise and monitor the work of outside counsel representing the company in litigation matters.
All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment
In Terms of the SNC-Lavalin Employment Equity policy, preference will be given to applicants who are disabled or from a previously disadvantaged background. If you have not heard from us within one month of your application, please regard your application as having been unsuccessful.