Armscor Dockyard in Simon's Town has a vacancy for a Technician: Mechanical in the Operations division. Applications are invited from people meeting the qualifications and experience requirements set out below.
PURPOSE OF JOB
Responsible to deliver mechanical engineering services in testing, maintenance and repair of ship's Mechanical Systems with specific focus on propulsion systems (Engines and Generators) in order satisfy client's requirements.
CRITICAL PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Provide technical input for configuration management and control by verifying and proposing technical documentation changes relating to systems and spares.
- Evaluate test equipment and make recommendations regarding replacement, enhancements and upgrading for acquisition purposes.
- Diagnose origin of non-conformance by various techniques including, but not limited to, utilising technical knowledge, skills and experience, interpreting technical manuals, handling of schematics and data manuals.
- Implement corrective action by repairing, adjusting, aligning, calibrating, overhauling, maintaining and/or setting-to-work systems.
- Diesel engine data analysis/trending/reporting, logistics development, project planning, training support, test plan and procedure development.
- Troubleshooting diesel propulsion and generation systems.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Manage and control the inventory, equipment and tools allocated to the Sub-section in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Prescribed regulations and standards.
- Assist the Section manager with preparation of the Section budget and monitor sub-section expenditure.
- Develop artisans, apprentices and handyman within the Section by providing training, technical instruction, guidance and support.
- Act as mentor when required to trainees and apprentices for the benefit of technical advice and experience.
- REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- National Diploma or equivalent qualification - Mechanical.
- Minimum 5 years post qualification technical experience in the Mechanical Engineering field with focus on propulsion systems (Engines and Generators).
- Added advantages:
Ø Experience in Marine and military industrial environment.
Ø Experience in Marine Diesel Propulsion Systems (Engines and generators).
- Maintain OH&S Act principles.
- Basic knowledge of other supporting trades.
- Ability to interpret technical procedures and circuit diagrams in the process of fault diagnosis.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to persevere under severe conditions.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
- Gathering and analysing information/data from various sources in order to determine the cause of complex problems and proposing appropriate solutions.
- Literacy skills related to technical procedures and circuit diagrams.
- Ability to work to precise tolerances and attend to detail in order to meet system specifications.